Wednesday, November 25, 2009

More Random Thoughts

Ok, so I felt like writing, but don't really have a specific topic in mind. Since when has that ever stopped me? I suppose I really should start numbering these "random thoughts" posts, but meh, that's a topic for another post.
--
Thanksgiving (in the US) tomorrow. We're all piling in the car and going to my sister in-law's house for the big feast. It's nice in that we get to hang with all the local family for the day and we don't have to cook. However, that puts a serious crimp on one of my simple pleasures, the leftover turkey sandwiches over the duration of the weekend. Remedy? Another feast scheduled for Saturday. Just us. At home. All the leftovers I want. Still have to cook.
--
Speaking of cooking, I have been on a quest of late. I want a waffle iron. No, really. I want a waffle iron. Why are they so hard to find? I suppose I should clarify... I want a REAL waffle iron, not a Belgian waffle iron. I want my waffles to have lots of little hickeys, not a handful of huge ones. You know, like Eggo waffles. Like the ones mom used to make. Saw one at the thrift store the other day, looked like it was from the 1950s, the handle was broken and it had a cloth power cord. I almost bought it. The old ones are cool because you could actually take the plates off to WASH THEM. You could also flip them over and lay the unit fully open to use it as a griddle. They were awesome! Why don't they make them like that anymore? Progress. Meh.
--
Black Friday is coming and I want to put this out there for those of you who will be standing around outside your favorite store impatiently waiting for it to open early. Give the employees a break. If you've never seen what your typical department store looks like during the overnight restocking process, you'd be amazed. That's just on a normal night. Thanksgiving night is that x2.

First of all, you know how it goes. You pigged out on turkey and all the trimmings, you've cleaned up the dishes and you're struggling to get your ass off the couch to go grab another slice of pie. Now imagine having to get up and go to work. All night. To make things even more fun, not only do they have to do all the work they normally do on any given night, they also have to help set up special displays for "doorbuster" deals, arrange and prepare stock in the back so daytime employees can keep a steady stream of product going to the floor, and get it all done EARLY. More work, less time, all kinds of fun. Then there are the daytime employees, they start streaming in early and put the finishing touches on displays, unbox and prepare stacks of product and try to get everything ready.

Then the doors open and all hell breaks loose.

Most people don't realize this, but some stores will see more business in the first HOUR of Black Friday than they'll see in an average DAY. Some stores do more business on BF than they do in an average week, or a month even. That's why its called "Black Friday" - most stores ledger sheets don't show a profit for the year until that day.

If it's in the store they want to sell it to you. If they say they are out, they are OUT. There's no more in the back, they don't have to go look. They're not saving anything for the employees.. more than likely they had to punch out and go stand in line with you to get back in. Yes really.
--
It's starting to feel like winter in Minnesota. Not that I'm happy about it mind you, but with the way this winter started, back in the middle of October, I figured we'd be ass-deep in snow by now. Instead, it got surprisingly pleasant for a few weeks. Now it's getting colder and they're talking about snow tonight.

Here in the northern US, a favorite phrase of tv weatherpeople is something along the lines of "a big push of cold air coming down from Canada." I wonder what Canadian weatherpeople say? Who do they blame for their cold air? The north pole? Siberia? Mars? As far as I'm concerned, it's all theirs and they can keep it, please and thank you. :-)
--
And finally, speaking of Canada... I'm finding myself hooked by a show made there called "How It's Made" - This show is brilliant. It's on one of those brainy cable channels like The Science Channel or something and it's just wonderful. Each show focuses on 3 things, they are COMPLETELY random, and shows step-by-step how each is made. When I say random, I mean random. Like one show can have running shoes, light bulbs and corn flakes. The next could be truck tires, baseball bats and stuffed animals. Look it up and check it out.

*whew* I think I got my writing bug taken care of. If you made it this far, thank you. The next one will be more focused. I hope.

1 comment:

  1. All the bad weather comes from Manitoba. Blame them.

    Also? We don't have Black Friday here. So, if you dislike it, I suggest you move to Canada immediately.

    :)

    ReplyDelete