Friday, February 12, 2010

We Are The World

Wow.

So we're sitting here watching the opening ceremonies for the Winter Olympics, and they just showed the world premiere of the new We Are The World video to help raise money for Haiti.

Well they showed part of it anyway. Call it a "World Pr" if you will.

I guess in this modern age with DVRs, DVD-Rs, Hi-Def, Digital-everything, they don't want to give away what they are trying to use to raise money.

So yeah... Without having seen the whole thing, my first reaction to this is a phrase we use around here... "Right church, wrong pew." (Or "Close, but no cigar, if you need a hand.) Lionel Richie and Quincy Jones need to go lock themselves in a room and take turns spanking one another for even thinking of making this abomination. Seriously. Come on guys, what were you thinking???

Ok, before I really get started, let me just say that I was never a real big fan of the original version of this song, but I did enjoy it. When it was released, we all knew it was a big deal, but had no idea we were watching a moment in music history. We all expected it to become a trivia question within a year. Its longevity is nothing short of amazing.

Now they remade it for another cause, with mostly new performers. Different arrangement. Abject failure.

First of all, many of the new performers are rappers and/or hip-hop artists. That's great, they appeal to the younger generation, but this song is not for them. In the original, different artists brought their unique style to the song, and they adjusted THEIR style to fit THE SONG. This time, the different artists brought their style and the song had to be adjusted to fit THEM. Really? There were parts of that song that just sounded like a straight-up train wreck.

Second, Michael Jackson included from the original? Really? I was never a big MJ fan, but the man poured his heart and soul into that original project and pulled artists from all styles of music together to help out. Seeing (and hearing) him in this video made me think it almost would have been better to just take him out of his coffin and prop him up in the corner. By that I mean they were totally USING him to help promote the video so why not just go all out?

Third, SCRAP THE AUTO-TUNE already!! Seriously, I don't know who the first kid to sing was, but the auto-tune was so heavy it was annoying. Some others had it set even higher so they got the robot-sounding voice thing going. Come on. It's a simple song. Learn how to sing it for real and leave the auto-tune turned off. Christ, I COULD SING THIS SONG. BOB DYLAN SANG THIS SONG. Do you really need to use that shit anymore?

I'm all for what these artists are trying to do. Haiti is in sad shape and will be for some time to come. They need all the help they can get. I'm happy that they are coming together to try to help. I just wish they hadn't screwed with the legacy of the original "We Are The World" and that they would have come up with a new song that would be better suited for todays popular artists.

What are your thoughts on it? Did you like it? Do you agree with me or do you think I'm nuts? Leave me a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Honestly? There are just some songs that should never, ever be re-made. For me, that happens to be one of them. Yeah, I was 'brought up' on the original, but it's an iconic song, and they should have left it alone and come up with something else.

    Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the word I was looking for... iconic. Yes, very much so. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I have actually seen the video for this song, I feel that I have to amend my statement.

    The song brought me to tears.

    Of pain.

    I'm sorry if I'm about to use your blog to vent my frustration, but you blogged about it, so here it comes.

    First off, it's not like We Are The World was an original concept to begin with. Geldof did it first with Do They Know it's Christmas.

    So let's put aside the notion that they were just too overwhelmed with the originality of the first WATW recording that they just had to pay homage to it. I call bullshit on that theory.

    Secondly, if an 'artist' can no longer sound like an 'artist' without robo-voice, then it is a sad state that music is in right now. I could not agree with you more on that count.

    I am positively astounded that they would leave the MJ footage and recording in there. It's marketing cheese to the power of ten. All it serves to do, for me, is to try to turn two negatives into a positive. That rarely works at any time, and in this case only enhanced the difference between the simple (and rather charming) message of the first WATW and the over-electronic'd rehash.

    The lyrics are poor and sound thrown together. The whole thing is just... not good. Wait, I believe you said 'train-wreck'?

    Yeah. That.

    My question - like yours - is why in hell didn't this group of obviously talented (well, in some cases) people just get together and come up with something original and from the heart, rather than completely ruin a song that I still maintain was iconic, and timeless.

    Train Wreck is right. And not one I'll be stopping to watch again anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, my lyrics comment was addressing the new parts. Obviously...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with the poster and the commenter . Seems the new-age of POP has lost its discriminating ears - where is the passion? where is the talent? Where is the sincerity? This is a fucking travesty; alas, some will eat it up, I suppose. Those too young to remember. A new project should have been undertaken for Haiti, at the very least, It warrants something original and fresh and meaningful. Reminds me of when Elton John redid a song - ALREADY written and intended for Marilyn Munroe- and dedicated it to Diana. Like- wth? No original feelings to express?
    Here is MY tribute to Haiti http://tinyurl.com/ybxvnzq

    ReplyDelete