Monday, December 14, 2009

Adventures in Grocery Shopping

Hello again,

So today turned out to be a pretty interesting day after all. I was sick of working in the HellRoom, (HellRoom, "Collector of THINGS") I was tired, hungry and ready to start dinner. One problem though, I had to go to the store to get stuff to make dinner. Dinner does not magically appear unless you order it first and pay ridiculous delivery fees.

Fine.

I put on my shoes and coat and left the house. On my way to the car, I noticed an old man, probably in his early 60's, maybe younger, he didn't look like the type to have had an easy life. Anyway, he was staggering his way through the snow and wasn't breaking any speed records on the way. He was coming from the store and had 2 grocery bags. He was wearing sneakers, blue jeans and a silver, springtime windbreaker. It was padded, but not nearly enough considering it's 10 degrees.

I got in the car and pulled out of the driveway and was attempting to navigate around him when I noticed he was flagging me down. First thought? Great... the rummy wants some cash. I couldn't just blow by him, so I pulled over and rolled down the window. "What's up?" I asked, in a kind of annoyed voice.

"I just had a stroke 2 weeks ago and I'm having a real hard time, can I please get a ride home? Its not far."

So not what I expected.

I thought for a second, decided I could take him in a fight if it turned out to be bullshit, then I opened the door and let him in.

I pulled the car around in the intersection and headed towards his house. We talked on the way there. His speech was slightly slurred but he spoke clearly, albeit quietly. I caught myself asking him to repeat himself a few times, and felt badly about it because it was my deaf ass having problems, not him. He told me that his brother couldn't or wouldn't take him to the store and that he was really hurting as a result of his trek. He thanked me several several times for picking him up and was practically in tears when, about a mile and a half down the road, we pulled into his driveway. He apologized for not having a couple of dollars to offer me for the ride, I told him not to worry about it and wished him well, told him to take care of himself. He shook my hand and said "God bless you, man. I really appreciate your help."

I offered to give him a hand with his bags but he climbed out saying that he had it. He got out of the car and made his way up the driveway. I waited until he got up on his porch before I backed out.

This was a truly nice guy who needed a hand and I was glad that I put my initial impressions aside and was able to help him out. I never got his name, but I hope he will be ok.

Oh and I went to the store, came home and made tacos. Just in case you were wondering.

Of course they were awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Proud of you. Nowadays it's hard to be considerate of others considering it usually leads to being screwed. But there are those out there that need and appreciate our help. I'm glad you found one and did what was right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what DrDon said. What a touching Christmas story. :] So glad you helped the guy out and shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thank you to you both. I have to admit it was outlook changing experiences.

    After I posted this, I thought that some may read this and think I was patting myself on the back. (Nobody has actually *said* that, but I could see why they would.) All I did was give this guy a ride, believe me, he helped me waaaaay more than that.

    ReplyDelete