Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Christmas Gift to My Twitter Friends

Since I just got finished making a batch (it's cooling on the table now) I thought I'd share a favorite recipe with you. Merry Christmas. Don't blame me if you can't stop eating it. I can't.

Caramel Puffcorn

Preheat oven to 250 degrees (121c)
1 deep saucepan
wire whisk
1 aluminum roasting pan
Wax paper

Ingredients:
1 16 oz (large) bag of your favorite Puffcorn snack. Butter flavored works best.

Carmel sauce:
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Light Corn Syrup
1 tsp Baking Soda

In saucepan, melt butter, then add brown sugar and corn syrup. Cook over medium/high heat for 2 minutes until uniformly mixed. Add baking soda. It will foam up as you mix, at this point I use a whisk to stir it up. Mix for about 1 minute.

Dump bag of puffcorn in to roasting pan, pour sauce over corn and mix well.

Place in oven for 45 minutes, mixing every 10 minutes or so.

Spread out wax paper and spread mixture on paper to cool and harden. Once set, after about 30 minutes or so, break up any large clumps.

Recipe can be doubled safely, after that there's not much mixing room in a standard roasting pan.

Enjoy.

I think mine's ready. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I only have one question: What the hell is Puff Corn? I am assuming some kind of popcorn product?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puffcorn - Google Search http://bit.ly/7lID3s

    yeah it's popcorn-like processed corn stuff. It's popcorn, kinda like Rice Krispies is puffed rice.

    I imagine there's probably some kind of extrusion machine involved, but who cares. It's good.

    We usually use the Old Dutch brand, but can't seem to find any around. Had to go with the FritoLay brand this year. It worked.

    ReplyDelete